Wednesday, February 10, 2010

For the first day since my first week of work, i was not assigned a class to relieve! It is such a rare phenomenon, considering the astounding absentee rate of teachers usually. I was so happy to have a free morning, but then, Sleepy teacher (so called cos i often see her asleep with her head on her desk) came and asked me if i was free to take over a class.

I didn't want to take her class, but i was indeed free and didn't have any excuse, so i ended up relieving one of the worst classes i've been to for 1 period. First thing they did when they saw a relief teacher walk in was to pull out the cards. I managed to stop them from gambling, so they satisfied themselves with practicing shuffling the cards over and over. Some of them went to the toilet and didn't come back for half the period. Others didn't even wait for my permission before going. But the worst was this one guy. Absolute pai kia!

When i went into the class, he was messaging on his phone. I told him to keep it and he did. Later, he took it out again. I told him to keep it again, but he only did so after he had finished his message. Even later, when some of them tried to go off for an early recess (they didn't even try to sneak out. They just walked out the door!) and i called them back, he was out in the corridor smsing! Out in the open ok!

I chased all of them back into class and told him to keep his phone. He refused, so i told him that i would confiscate it if he didn't. He still didn't keep it. I tried to take it from him, but he just pushed my hand away and started cursing at me. He then walked out again and wanted to go off. I called him to come back and he did, but then he and some others created a small commotion outside the class.

He kept scolding me and saying how other teachers also don't dare to do anything to him, so how dare a relief teacher like me try. He even referred to himself as "lim peh" and when i heard that, i totally wanted to roll my eyes at him and insult him. Who the heck does he think he is?! And please, even if he wanted to be all scary and prove he is a gangster, at least don't be such a low class one.

All the noise attracted the attention of the teacher in the neighbouring class and she came out to see what what going on. She scolded the students for being outside when they should be in class and even added "can't you see the teacher is there?", not like they care. When i'd successfully managed to get them back into class, i turned to the teacher who was still angrily standing there and apologised to her. I really wanted to say "help me", but how could i do that in front of the students?

I was so glad when the lesson was over. I met Sleepy teacher again later on and she thanked me and asked whether the class was noisy. I told her very, and that they were quite difficult to manage. I don't think she expected me to say that, but honestly, that was already toning things down. Did she really expect me to giver her a polite answer and say that there were no problems after all that? I hope i never have to set foot in that class again!

Happy thing for the day: At least i didn't get any other classes to relief.

Thankful for: Having more time this afternoon since i didn't get home so late.

No comments: