Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Today turned out to be a much better day at work. For the first time, i actually taught them something for a change and discovered that i have absolutely nothing against teaching. It's the whole managing the class and trying to make unwilling students do work that i've a problem with. Teaching itself is actually quite fun :)

Unfortunately, it feels like most of my work is doing just that: managing the class and making unwilling students do work, just because all that matters are the grades that come out and you can't give grades without them doing work that you can mark. Sigh.

The eager beaver teacher next to me was away for training today, and somehow, i felt more relaxed at work. Don't feel so pressurised by his eagerness. Haha :P But even though he was not around, just seeing the instructions he left for whoever was taking over his classes impressed me. How does he think of all this stuff?!

I met up with Steph after work for lunch! :) Had a nice time chatting with her and i was really glad to see her again :) Just talking to her about psych and school really makes me miss it... I hope to be able to meet up with all my juniors and friends from school soon. I really miss them :(

I think i'd do much better as a lecturer (if i had the knowledge) than as a secondary school teacher. All you do is teach and you don't have to bother about making students listen to you or hand in their assignments. If they don't, they fail and that's that. And their parents won't come after you to find out why they failed.

I don't understand why parents like to blame teachers if their children didn't do well. If the rest of the class can pass while your child fails, why is it the teacher's fault? Before blaming the teacher, why not ask whether the child has put in enough effort to pay attention in class or do his work? And the school system seems to support this blaming of teachers, although i shall not elaborate on this.

Happy thing for the day: I actually had a proper lesson for the first time and actually felt competent.

Thankful for: A nice lunch with Steph! :)

No comments: