I thought i'd only hurt my elbow yesterday, but it seems that i may have hurt my thigh during the fall too. There is no bruise, but it feels kind of sore :( Not to mention, my body is still feeling rather tired from work...
Today i woke up freaking early to go help KW at some Amazing Race activity at JSS. I was quite determined the night before to do a really good job of it and to interact well with the kids. After all, it's been so many years since i last did relief teaching, so maybe i didn't dislike kids so much anymore? :P Anyway, i thought the whole thing would be good experience for me.
However, i think i totally failed to live up to my expectations of myself. And the whole game itself was not really what i expected. I guess i'm too used to uni-level camp style activities. I had to remind myself that they were still kids and not to expect so much from them :P
I was prepared to meet the kids, but i wasn't prepared to meet the other mentors. I wonder why that never crossed my mind earlier that i'd inevitably be working with them, so i'd definitely have to talk to them. So i naturally reverted to my shy and introverted mode :(
I was paired with this other mentor and we were to lead a group with 2 sec 2 girls, a very chatty girl and her less chatty friend. I was quite overwhelmed by how much the chatty girl was talking and around noisy people, i tend to be more quiet, which wasn't working well for me :/
Chatty Girl talked throughout most of the day, but not to us, though, unless it was necessary. But she and her friend did a pretty good job, i think :) The race, however, was seriously dampened by the downpour.
The group kept wanting to move on, but we had to stop them because of the rain. Eventually, they kept complaining that we just went off anyway. In the rain, All over the place. Sigh. I really don't like having to walk through the rain, especially when it's so heavy. And especially when i'm wearing shoes! My new shoes! Totally soaked and dirtied by the rain :(
Rain, hunger, thirst, cold and exhaustion. We eventually completed the race, arriving much later than the finish time because some of the sec 1s could not muster up the energy to walk faster by the end. Haha.
It wasn't all bad, but i have to say, it felt like a pretty miserable day :P I was starving by the time i got myself any my wet feet home. Ended up crashing for a few hours after that. Heh :P
After a review of the things i could have done better, i'm determined to make tomorrow a better day. After all, how could so many years of facilitating experience produce such a lousy facilitator?! Totally dissatisfied :( I want my revenge! Haha!
Thankful for: surviving the day!
Tuesday, October 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment